- Marital status
- Calgary, AB, CAN
- Higher education
- Liberal Studies - Quest University: Squamish, BC, CAN
- Mountain biking, road cycling, golf, skiing, reading, video editing, blogging, fly fishing, hiking, camping. (luge.ca, Feb 2017; NOC Media Guide, 2014)
- Superstitions / Rituals / Beliefs
- He always puts his right glove on first before he races. (NOC Media Guide, 2014)
- Why this sport?
- A teacher at his school suggested that with his athletic aptitude and physical frame, luge would be a good fit for him. He tried it and loved the speeds he could travel at.
- To win a medal at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang. (nationalpost.com, 28 Sep 2016)
- Name of coach
- Wolfgang Staudinger [national], GER
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He took up the sport in 1998 at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary, AB, Canada.
- Samwise (olympic.ca, Jan 2017)
- Sporting philosophy / motto
- "All I can be is me, whoever that is." [Bob Dylan] (NOC Media Guide, 2014)
- Other information
- NATIONAL FIRST
In 2014 he became the first male luger representing Canada to win a singles World Cup event when he was victorious in Calgary, AB, Canada. (theglobeandmail.com, 13 Dec 2014; SportsDeskOnline, 13 Dec 2014)
He missed the 2015/16 season to complete a degree in commerce at Royal Roads University in Victoria, BC, Canada. The time off competing also allowed him to recover from a sports hernia. "It has been a boost for me and my mental state. Morale-wise, it just feels like a big accomplishment has been checked off. That's something that weighs heavily on a lot of athletes, that transition to the real world. This is just one of the steps." (calgaryherald.com, 24 Oct 2016; LinkedIn profile, Oct 2015)
- Wife Elyce