Marianne St-Gelais won two silver medals in Vancouver, one in the 500m race and one in the 3000m relay. The silver in the 500m came on her 20th birthday. During the 2012-2013 season, she placed second in the 500m distance at two different World Cup events. The Canadian short tracker finished first in the overall World Cup standings for the 500m, her best distance, in 2011. St.-Gelais has been working on her other distances and has improved in the 1000m. She won two World Cup events in the distance in the 2011-2012 season. St-Gelais is in a relationship with Canadian teammate Charles Hamelin, who won a pair of gold medals in Vancouver.
- 2011/12 World Cup Saguenay- finished first in the 500m and 1000m
- 2011 World Cup- first in the overall standings for the 500m
- 2010 Olympic Games- silver in the 500m and 3000m relay
Things to know:
1. Began skating at age 10.
2. Originally was focused on qualifying for Sochi before she ended up winning two silvers in Vancouver.
3. All three of her siblings started skating with her and two still compete.