- Freestyle Skiing
All four Americans advance to women's freeski halfpipe final
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia — Marie Martinod of France led qualifying during women's Olympic halfpipe skiing on Thursday.
Martinod posted a score of 88.40 during her second run as the sport made its Olympic debut to easily advance to the 12-skier final.
Brita Sigourney and Maddie Bowman of the U.S. finished second and third behind Martinod, with teammates Angeli Vanlaanen and Annalisa Drew also moving on.
There were several hard crashes during qualifying, the worst coming when Anais Caradeux slammed into the ice during her second run. The 20-year-old Frenchwoman lay motionless for several seconds before being tended to by medics.
Caradeux sustained lacerations on her face but managed to ski down the halfpipe to the medical tent. She qualified ninth but it is uncertain if she'll be able to compete in the finals.
Qualification (Top 12 advance)
- Marie Martinod (FRA) - 88.40
- Brita Sigourney (USA) - 87.00
- Maddie Bowman (USA) - 85.60
- Ayana Onozuka (JPN) - 83.80
- Angeli VanLaanen (USA) - 83.00
- Rosalind Groenewoud (CAN) - 82.00
- Virginie Faivre (SUI) - 80.00
- Janina Kuzma (NZL) - 75.20
- Anais Caradeux (FRA) - 74.40
- Mirjam Jaeger (SUI) - 73.20
- Annalisa Drew (USA) - 72.40
- Amy Sheehan (AUS) - 70.60
- Keltie Hansen (CAN) - 66.20
- Sabrina Cakmakli (GER) - 64.80
- Davina Williams (AUS) - 63.00
- Katia Griffiths (ESP) - 56.60
- Katrien Aerts (BEL) - 54.80
- Emma Lonsdale (GBR) - 53.80
- Elizavetta Chesnokova (RUS) - 50.00
- Natalya Makagonova (RUS) - 43.80
- Hee-Jim Park (KOR) - 42.40
- Nina Ragettli (SUI) - 18.00
- Manami Mitsuboshi (KPN) - 15.60
Best of Sochi