Eva Samkova, a native of the northern Czech mountain town of Vrchlabi, is the next big star in women’s snowboard cross.
The three-time world junior champion was beginning to emerge among the elite on the senior World Cup circuit when she tore her left ACL in December 2011, which kept her out of competition for a year. Since her return, she has picked up where she left off, winning two of her first three World Cup races this season to establish herself as a legitimate gold medal threat.
Though Samkova’s popularity in Europe is partly owing to her good looks, her appearance is best known for a masculine flourish: a mustache she stencils onto her upper lip (ironically) before competing in the elimination rounds at competitions.
- 2014 X Games, Aspen - silver
- 2013-14 World Cup, Vallnord #2 - 1st
- 2013-14 World Cup, Montafon - 1st
- 2013-14 World Cup, Vallnord #1 - 7th
- 2013 World Cup standings - 4th
- 2013 World Championships - 7th
- 2011 World Cup standings - 7th
- 2011 World Championships - 5th
Things to know:
- Eva began on skis and then took to snowboarding at age six.
- She competed in halfpipe and slopestyle competitions st first but realized she was better suited to racing than back flips after suffering a broken leg and a broken hand.
- She orders the mustache stencils online, picking them out with her teammates, and draws them in with colored pencils.