The world champion in 2012, Kostner has five medals at the World Championships, including the silver behind Yuna Kim this past year. A fast and elegant skater, the Italian has not been able to deliver the goods at the Olympics, placing ninth in front of the home crowd in Torino (after being chosen as Italy's flag bearer) and then falling to 16th at the Vancouver Games. Kostner has five European Championships gold medals and seven national titles, dating back to 2001. Should the 26-year-old bring her best skating, she is a contender for one of three medals in Sochi.
- 2014 Sochi Olympics - Bronze
- 2014 European Championships - Bronze
- 2013 World Championships - Silver
- 2013 European Championships - Gold
- 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2013 National Championships - Gold
- 2012 World Championships - Gold
- 2010 Vancouver Games - 16th
- 2006 Torino Games - Ninth
Things to know:
1. Kostner comes from an Olympic family: Her second cousin Isolde Kostner is a retired Alpine skier who was a three-time Olympic medalist and her father Erwin was on Italy's 1984 Olympic hockey team.
2. Kostner is still seeking to win Italy's first-ever Olympic medal in figure skating.
3. Carolina speaks five - five! - languages: Italian, German, English, French and Ladinic, a local dialect of Italian that her family uses in the mountains of Italy.