France’s Kevin Rolland may be the biggest threat for gold in freeski halfpipe outside the Americans. The progressive risk taker from the French Alps is known for a high-flying brand of skiing that can either put him on the podium or see him crashing out. His grandmother put him on skis before he was two and still helps with skiing, now serving as the unofficial team mom for the French. The 24-year-old Rolland had a dominating run between 2010 and 2011, winning X Games and Euro X Games in each year. An ACL tear cut his 2011-2012 season short, while a concussion affected him during the 2012-13 season. However, Rolland appears to be hitting his stride once again after reaching the podium in three Grand Prix events this season.
- 2014 World Cup, Breckenridge, CO - 3rd
- 2013 World Cup, Copper Mountain, CO - 2nd
- 2013 World Ski Championships, Oslo, Norway - 7th
- 2013 World Cup, Park City, Utah - 3rd
- 2013 World Cup, Copper Mountain, CO - 8th
- 2011 World Cup, La Plagne, France - 1st
Things To Know:
1. Served as an ambassador to the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in 2012.
2. Nickname is “Mitch” because friends say he looks like Mitch Buchannon, the lifeguard from the TV show Baywatch that David Hasselhoff played.
3. Says his favorite Olympic moments are watching Shaun White win in snowboarding halfpipe in 2010 or attending the 2006 Torino Games and seeing his friend Sandra Laoura earn bronze in women’s moguls in 2006.