Kevin Shattenkirk is a fleet-footed defenseman who quickly moves the puck up the ice. While his game is built around attributes that a primarily associated with offensive hockey, Shattenkirk has worked himself into becoming a solid defender as well, and despite being small by hockey standards, is known to play much more physically than his physical build might suggest. He broke into the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche, but has come into his own as a member of the St. Louis Blues, his NHL team since midway through his rookie season in 2010-11.
- Played collegiate hockey at Boston University, winning an NCAA national championship in 2009 and serving as team captain in 2009-10.
- Assisted on the overtime goal that clinched the national title for Boston University over Miami (Ohio) University.
- At the time he was named captain of Boston University, he was the first BU junior to be team captain since 1961-62.
- Racked up nine points in six games at the 2009 World Junior Championships, when he was an alternate captain.
Things to know:
1. Was born in Greenwich, CT, but grew up in nearby New Rochelle, NY.
2. Shares a birthday with 1998 Czech Olympic hockey hero Dominik Hasek, as well as Oprah Winfrey.
3. Growing up, he played in the New Jersey Devils Youth Hockey organization.