Shani Davis, who became the first black athlete to win an individual gold medal at a Winter Olympics, has lead the U.S. speed skating team through two Olympics and has four Olympic medals. The Chicago native won two gold medals in the 1000m distance, one in Torino and one Vancouver and two silver medals in the 1500m distance, also one in Vancouver and one in Torino. In Sochi, he'll have the chance to become the first American male to win three gold medals in the same event at consecutive Winter Games. Davis finished second in the 1000m overall World Cup standings for 2012-2013. He holds world records in the 1000m and 1500m and has finished in either first or second in the overall World Cup standings for either the 1000m or 1500m the last seven years. He won two gold medals at the World Cup Salt Lake City in the 2013-2014 season and sits in first place in the overall World Cup standings for both the 1000m and 1500m distances. The middle distance specialist assured that he'll have a chance to repeat in the 1000m when he won the race at U.S. Olympic Trials, securing his position in the distance in Sochi. He also secured an opportunity to win double gold by winning the 1500m at Trials. The two-time Olympic champion finished fourth in the 500m at Trials and earned the final spot available for the distance. Davis finished the pre-Games period with a solid second place finish overall at the World Sprint Championships.
- 2014 World Sprint Championships- second overall for men
- 2013/14 Olympic Trials- finished first in the 1000m and 1500m and fourth in the 500m
- 2013/14 World Cup Salt Lake City- gold in the 1000m and 1500m
- 2013/14 World Cup Calgary- gold in the 1000m
- 2013 World Cup- second in the overall standings for the 1000m
- 2012 World Cup- first in the overall standings for the 1000m
- 2011 World Cup- first in the overall standings for the 1500m
- 2010 Olympic Games- gold medal in 1000m and silver in 1500m
- 2009 World records in the 1000m and 1500m
- 2006 Olympic Games- gold medal in 1000m and silver in 1500m
Things to know:
1. Shani Davis started his career by skating short track in addition to long track, and he continues to train with the short track team which improves his turning around corners, a big advantage in long track.
2. Was invited to the White House after Vancouver and said of Obama, “He invited me to a state dinner. I was the only winter Olympic athlete. I was able to show him the medals in person."
3. Has a son named Ayize, which is a Zulu name meaning "let it come."