Melbardis has steadily improved in the two-man event, placing 13th at Worlds in 2011, 8th in 2012 and 5th in 2013. In the four-man, the Latvian was a gold-medal winner at a World Cup competition held on the Sochi track that will be used for the 2014 Games, helping him to a second-place finish in the World Cup standings for 2013 and making him a pilot to watch come February.
- 2013 World Championships - Fifth (two-man)
- 2009 World Championships - Bronze (four-man)
- 2008 European Championships - Gold (four-man)
Things to know:
1. Melbardis went to the 2010 Olympics, but his bobsled pilot crashed the sled twice in training and the two did not compete in any official events.
2. He enjoys riding motorcross bikes.
3. Bobsled is the only sliding sport that Latvia has not won a medal in.