- Sochi News
Chef Allen Tran's recipes for U.S. Olympic skiers and snowboarders
U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association chef Allen Tran has shared seven recipes utilizing Blue Diamond Almonds that will be in the rotation of meals and snacks he will prepare for Olympic athletes in Sochi. Click on a dish below to get the recipe.
Embedded owg_slideshow: Allen Tran: Chef to U.S. Olympic skiers, snowboarders
- 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds, plus extra for topping
- ½ cup fat-free plain yogurt (preferably Greek)
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup tahini sauce*
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- Blue Diamond Almond Smokehouse Nut Thins
- Puree all ingredients except Nut Thins or Chips in a food processor until very smooth.
- Serve with Nut Thins.
* The thickness of tahini varies with brands. If tahini is very thick, add a few more tablespoons of yogurt to thin hummus
Embedded video_content_type: Ted Ligety shows off in the kitchen
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 package (.56 oz) bacon-onion dip mix or 1 (1 oz.) ranch dip mix with 2 tbsp. bacon bits
- 1/3 cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds chopped and roasted
- Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins
- Beat cream cheese until softened
- Add grated Swiss cheese; dip mix and 2 tablespoons of almonds. Mix until well blended.
- Shape into ball. Roll in remaining almonds
- Serve with diagonally sliced carrots, celery and radishes or Nut Thins
Embedded video_content_type: The perfect portable snack
This is the official U.S. Ski Team granola recipe
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Dash kosher salt
- 1 cup Natural Blue Diamond Almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix first section of ingredients (oats through almonds) in a large bowl to combine
- Spread ingredients into two rimmed baking sheets, making sure there is only a thin layer of mixture on each sheet.
- Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes, stirring midway, until just lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven, add dried fruit and coconut.
- Let granola cool, spreading out on baking sheets for a crunchy texture.
Embedded video_content_type: Gluten-free in Sochi
This is a Middle Eastern dip that can also be used as a serving sauce for poultry and pork.
- 1 15 oz. jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- ¾ cup Blue Diamond Roasted Salted Almonds
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except olive oil. Process until smooth, scraping down sides of container if necessary.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through lid opening and blend until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning (add salt or lemon if needed).
- ½ cup Blue Diamond Roasted Almonds (Note: You can substitute raw or slivered almonds)
- 1 9 oz. container of baby kale leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- 1 tsp. Salt (omit if using salted almonds)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.*
- Puree until the mixture is smooth.
To store, refrigerate with plastic wrap pushed directly onto the surface of the pesto, this will prevent browning.
To freeze, spoon small portions onto a wax paper-lined small plate or baking sheet, freeze, and transfer to plastic freezer bags.
* This recipe can be done in a blender, but may require additional olive oil to blend smoothly.
Embedded video_content_type: Not your mother's pesto
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. minced fresh parsley or ½ tsp. dried
- ½ tsp. seafood seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 pound (61-to-70 count) shrimp, with tails and veins removed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp. almond or corn oil, divided
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Stir together almonds, flour, parsley, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Dip each shrimp in egg white, then in almond mixture; lay on a baking sheet or platter until ready to cook.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet; grill shrimp in batches on medium heat, cooking 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until pink and golden.
- Use remaining 1 tablespoon oil as necessary.
- Serve shrimp immediately, accompanied by lemon wedges.
- 1 bag milk, semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate or Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Almonds, coarsely chopped
- 24 Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins, coarsely broken
- Line 18 mini muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
- Place chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is mostly melted; stir until completely melted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and spoon equal amounts into prepared muffin cups.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 to 3 minutes
Makes 18 cups