- Freestyle Skiing
14 things you didn't know about slopestyle skier Gus Kenworthy
1. Gus was born on October 1, 1991 in London, England, but grew up in Telluride, Colorado. He considers his suitcase his current residence.
2. His mother, Pip, worked at the nearby ski lodge in Telluride so Gus would come in after runs and get hot chocolates. She currently owns a consignment shop called Pip’s Fine and Funky.
3. Graduated from high school with honors.
Embedded owg_slideshow: Model Olympian: Gus Kenworthy
4, For his 11th birthday, Gus’ father took him to the pound to pick out a dog. He chose a little black and brown dog that looked like a smaller Burmese Mountain dog. He called him Mac.
5. Used to sneak into the Peaks Resort to use the waterslide.
6. Dreams of being on Saturday Night Live.
Embedded owg_slideshow: Olympians with puppies!
7. Has the word “Hoot” tattooed on his left forearm. Hoot Brown was his best friend who passed away in a ski accident while they were in the park during a photoshoot when Gus was 14 and Hoot was 16. Gus' mom brought him to get the tattoo when he was 14, a few months after his passing.
8. Wears a shirt with some owls on it that says Hoot, from a café in Idaho, during every final that he competes in as a tribute to his friend.
Embedded video_content_type: Tattoo, you: Athletes get inked up
9. Gus’ hidden talents include riding a unicycle, drawing, and is really good at Boggle and Scrabble.
10. Considers Batman his role model because "Bruce Wayne is about as cool as a character can get."
11. Gets so nervous before a competition he has a hard time eating beforehand so he eats a big dinner the night before.
12. Gus’ must-pack beauty and grooming products include Crest toothpaste, Old Spice deodorant, Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner and cologne.
13. His injuries include broken legs, broken collarbone, broken sternum, broken hand multiple times and my thumbs too, I’ve ripped ligaments in my ankle and partially torn ligaments in his knee, and a few concussions, but “nothing too serious.”
Best of Sochi