Ten things to know about American cross-country skier Kikkan Randall
Kikkan Randall is a 31-year-old cross-country skier from Anchorage, Alaska. Randall will be competing in her fourth Olympic Games, she made her Olympic debut at the Salt Lake Games. Randall finished first overall in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 World Cup sprint standings. She and teammate Jessie Diggins won a gold medal at the 2013 World Championship in the women's team sprint. At the Sochi Games, Randall will try to become the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in a cross-country event. Randall is considered a medal contender in the Women's individual sprint. The Women's individual sprint will take place on Day 4 (Feb. 11) of the Sochi Games. Here are 10 facts about Randall:
1. Randall comes from an athletic family, her uncle, Chris Haines, was an Olympic cross-country skier at the 1976 Games. Her cousin, Casey Kelly, pitches for the San Diego Padres. Here are some photos of Randall growing up:
Embedded owg_slideshow: Growing up: Kikkan Randall
2. Randall made her Olympic debut when she was 18 years old. Here are some photos of her career all the way from the Salt Lake Games in 2002:
Embedded owg_slideshow: Fresh tracks: Kikkan Randall
3. Randall's nickname is Kikkanimal she explains how she got that nickname.
4. In Jan of 2014, Randall won two World Cup events. Both were sprint events.
5. She has a tattoo of a cross-country skier on top of the Olympic Rings on her ankle:
6. Her father wanted to name her after American Alpine skier Christina "Kiki" Cutter and her mother wanted to name her Megan so they combined both ideas and got the name Kikkan.
Embedded owg_slideshow: All Access: Kikkan Randall
7. She works with the Alaska school system to promote a healthy active lifestyle.
8. Randall will attempt to go for history at the Sochi Games, here is the story.
9. She has a very strong work ethic especially when it come to working out, here is a video of her explaining how intense her workouts can get.
Here are some photos:
This is how we do team strength on the US Ski Team! pic.twitter.com/NPDBL7CK— Kikkan Randall (@kikkanimal) May 18, 2012
and here is a gallery on all the other physical activities she participates in:
Embedded owg_slideshow: Working out with Kikkan Randall
10. She is married to Jeff Ellis who works for the FIS (Federation of International Skiing), the two travel on the road together and have two cats, Sophie and Lulu.
Best of day 4