The "older" skater in a crop of up-and-coming Russians, Sotnikova - just 17 - has claimed three Russian national championships titles and was ninth at the World Championships in 2013. The teen won her first national title in 2009, when she was just 12, and captured gold at the World Junior Championships two years later in 2011. She collected two silver medals during the Grand Prix season in 2013, was fifth at the Grand Prix Final in December and then second at the European Championships behind countrywoman Yulia Lipnitskaya, whom she had beaten at the Russian National Championships in December.
- 2014 Sochi Olympics - Gold
- 2014 European Championships - Silver
- 2014 Russian National Championships - Gold
- 2013 Grand Prix Final - Fifth
- 2013 World Championships - Ninth
- 2013 European Championships - Silver
- 2013 Russian National Championships - Bronze
- 2009, 2011 and 2012 Russian Championships - Gold
- 2011 World Junior Championships - Gold
Things to know:
1. Yes, you read that right: Sotnikova won the Russian National Championships in 2009 when she was just 12.
2. Adelina admires Stephane Lambiel and Brian Joubert as well as Japanese skaters Mao Asada and Miki Ando.
3. Beloved in Russia, Sotnikova is known as the face of figure skating for the new generation.