Past three gold medalists advance straight to final in women's halfpipe
Women's halfpipe qualifying wrapped up with a trio of gold medalists among the riders advancing directly into the final - Americans Kelly Clark and Hannah Teter (2002 and 2006 gold medalists, respectively) and Australian Torah Bright (2010 gold medalist).
The top three from each heat advanced directly to the final, with riders placing fourth through ninth in their heat moving into the semifinal.
Other riders advancing directly to the final were Spain's Queralt Castellet, France's Sophie Rodiguez and China's Xuetong Cai.
Kaitlyn Farrington of the United States, who placed fourth in her heat, was among the riders forced to go through the semifinal, but she put down her first run and held the top score for the rest of the round. That put her into the next round - making it a total of three Americans in the final.
Five other riders including the Chinese duo of Jiayu Liu and Shuang Li also advanced out of the semifinal.
17-year-old American Arielle Gold was unable to compete after suffering a should injury in practice.
Qualifying Heat 1 Results
1. Kelly Clark (USA), 95.00
2. Queralt Castellet (ESP), 93.25
3. Sophie Rodriguez (FRA), 78.50
4. Shuang Li (CHN), 77.75
5. Ursina Haller (SUI), 74.75
6. Zhifeng Sun (CHN), 70.00
7. Alexandra Duckworth (CAN), 69.75
8. Sarka Pancochova (CZE), 66.25
9. Stephanie Magiros (AUS), 57.25
Qualifying Heat 2 Results
1. Torah Bright (AUS), 93.00
2. Hannah Teter (USA), 92.00
3. Xuetong Cai (CHN), 88.00
4. Kaitlyn Farrington (USA), 87.00
5. Jiayu Liu (CHN), 83.50
6. Mirabelle Thovex (FRA), 71.75
7. Rana Okada (JPN), 69.75
8. Clemence Grimal (FRA), 66.50
9. Katie Tsuyuki (CAN), 54.25
1. Kaitlyn Farrington (USA), 87.50
2. Jiayu Liu (CHN), 81.25
3. Shuang Li (CHN), 80.00
4. Ursina Haller (SUI), 74.50
5. Mirabelle Thovex (FRA), 70.75
6. Rana Okada (JPN), 70.00
Best of Sochi
Best of Day 5