Marrit Leenstra is one of several impressive parts of a strong Dutch speed skating team. The middle distance specialist hasn't competed in an Olympics before, but she's produced some solid individual results along with helping out the team pursuit group. Leenstra finished first in the overall World Cup standings for the 1500m last season, improving on her third place finish in the World Cup rankings for the distance from the year before. She also finished third in the 2012 World Cup overall standings for the 1000m. Another important part of Leenstra's skating is her participation in the team pursuit, where she skates with a strong Netherlands group that finished first at the 2013 World Single Distances Championships. Leenstra won gold with the team pursuit in Sochi.
- 2014 Olympic Games- finished first in the team pursuit
- 2013 World Cup- finished first in the overall standings for the 1500m
- 2012 World Cup- finished third in the overall standings for the 1000m and 1500m
- 2011 World Cup- finished second in the overall standings for the 1500m
Things to know:
1. Shares the same name as an Olympic volleyball player from the Netherlands who competed in the 1996 and 2004 Olympics.
2. She speaks three languages: Dutch, Italian and English.
3. She's dating fellow speed skater and Olympic gold medalist Matteo Anesi of Italy.