Much of the Netherlands' Koen Verweij's success has come in the team pursuit, but he's also performed at a high level in some of the individual races. He's won four World Cup medals in individual distances, including a gold in the 1500m in Calgary to kick the 2013-2014 season off, and all of his individual medals have come from the 2012 season on. The middle distance specialist also won gold in the team pursuit at the World Cup Calgary and took home silver in the 1500m at the World Cup Astana. Verweij has also seen some success at the World Allround Championships where he finished second in the 5000m in the 2010-2011 season and the same result in the 500m the following year. The Dutch skater showed his prowess in the 1500m when he won the distance at the 2014 European Championships. Verweij won gold in the team pursuit and finished second and won silver in the 1500m in Sochi.
- 2014 Olympic Games- finished first in the team pursuit and finished second in the 1500m
- 2014 European Championships- won the 1500m
- 2013/14 World Cup Calgary- finished first in the 1500m
- 2012/13 World Cup Kolomna- finished first in the 1500m
- 2011/12 World Allround Championships- finished second in the 500m
- 2010/11 World Allround Championships- finished second in the 5000m
Things to know:
1. Skated inline as a child.
2. He is coached by Gerard Kemkers.
3. Made his international debut in 2009.