Jorrit Bergsma has carved out a niche for himself on a deep Netherlands' speed skating team. Bergsma finished first in the overall World Cup standings for the 5000m and the 10,000m distances in the 2012-2013 season and also won the World Single Distances Championships in the 10,000m distance. Bergsma, a marathon skater as well, has never been to the Olympics before. Bergsma, because of his background in marathon skating, skates the long distances and didn't make the Netherlands' team, which has several options for those distances, for the 2010 Olympics. He attempted to skate for Kazakhstan in Vancouver but was unable to do so. Bergsma won gold in the 10,000m in an Olympic record time and took home bronze in the 5000m in Sochi.
- 2014 Olympic Games- finished first in the 10,000m and third in the 5000m
- 2013 World Cup- first in the overall standings for the 5000m/10,000m
- 2013 World Single Distance Championships- first in the 10,000m and second in the 5000m
- 2012 World Cup- third in the overall standings for the 5000m/10,000m
Things to know:
1. Bergsma is engaged to American speed skater Heather Richardson.
2. Is a marathon skater and says that Olympics come second to the Elfstedentocht, a 124-mile race over the frozen canals of Friesland in the Netherlands.
3. Grew up and lives on a houseboat.