- Freestyle Skiing
14 things you didn't know about slopestyle skier Bobby Brown
1. Bobby Brown was born on June 5, 1991 in Denver, Colorado.
2. His favorite teacher growing up was his third grade teacher, Mrs. Patterson. “During class one day she asked us all to write down our wildest hopes and aspirations. Fast-forward eight years, I received my list of goals in the mail after I won my first X Games. She recognized my passion before most and reminded me that I can do anything I put my mind to.
3. Brown graduated high school a semester early. His final semester included an online tennis course, “which was surprisingly difficult.”
4. A week after he graduated high school, Brown won his first professional contest, the Dew Tour in Breckenridge.
5. Had a dog named Steele growing up. She was a husky.
Embedded owg_slideshow: Olympians with puppies!
6. Is a die hard Denver Broncos fan.
7. He and his little brother both have "DTH" inscribed on the inside of their wrists. “Wish I could spill the secret, but he and I are the only ones that know the meaning. A little bond we share and it just helps to keep us focused and remember of what is important in this life.”
8. He also has a cartoonish image of Denver on his forearm. "Pretty accurately shows my creative/animated side. Proud to be from such a great city."
Embedded video_content_type: Tattoo, you: Athletes get inked up
9. Knows how to do a back flip on a mountain bike.
10. His father was a semi-professional tennis player in New Zealand.
Embedded video_content_type: What makes a role model?
11. His pre-competition ritual is tapping three times on his skis, then his helmet and then a piece of wood.
12. Has dealt with injuries for most of his career. In 2010, he overshot a jump and fractured his L1, L2, L3 and pelvis, which sidelined him for three months.
13. During summer training at Mt. Hood in Oregon with the U.S. Ski Team in 2012, Brown came up short on a jump while practicing a new trick and broke his right ankle and had severe bone bruising on his tibia in the left ankle. He had immediate surgery where a screw was inserted into my right ankle. His physical therapy and rehab was six days a week for four months. In October, a routine MRI showed bone fragments of his tibia in his right ankle causing scar tissue to form, which then had scoped and removed in an additional surgery, leading to two more months of physical therapy and rehab. Was back on snow in December 2012, and placed 4th at a World Cup (first contest after surgery), then 4th and 6th at Winter X Games 2013. Felt 100%, was training for the World Championships in Oslo when I overshot a jump and again, broke my right ankle
14. Has heard every joke related to the singer Bobby Brown. ""My Prerogative" is the only song I listened to and I probably made it only halfway through."
Embedded owg_slideshow: Model Olympian: Bobby Brown
Best of Sochi