Angeli VanLaanen, born and raised in Bellingham, Washington, grew up riding Mt. Baker’s rich Big Mountain terrain. A natural in the park, VanLaanen moved to Colorado in 2005 to kick off her career as a freeski professional. Proving to be a fierce halfpipe competitor, VanLaanen quickly moved up through the ranks. But in 2009, after a standout year—where she placed first in the World Cup Superpipe in Park City, Utah—she was diagnosed with advanced, untreated Lyme disease, and was forced to take a three-year hiatus from competing. During that time, VanLaanen produced an inspirational documentary, "Lymelight," chronicling her battle with the disease that went undiagnosed for 14 years. Now in remission—thanks in large part to her strict anti-inflammatory diet—VanLaanen is competing again, and looking stronger than ever.
- 2014 World Cup U.S. Grand Prix, Breckenridge, CO – 4th
- 2013 World Cup U.S. Grand Prix, Copper, CO - 5th
- 2013 Dew Tour, Breckenridge, CO – 2nd
- 2013 World Championships, Oslo, Norway – 6th
Things to Know:
- Grew up with a love of ballet, figure skating and soccer.
- Adopted a gluten-free baking, anti-inflammatory diet.
- Living with Chronic Lyme Disease.