Brittany Bowe is relatively new to speed skating, but it hasn't taken her long to make significant progress. Bowe finished tenth in the overall World Cup standings for the 1000m distance in the 2011-2012 season, but finished second overall in the same standings for the same distance in the 2012-2013 season. Bowe is a fantastic athlete and was good enough at basketball at Florida Atlantic University that she considered playing professionally in Europe. Bowe played four years at FAU but decided to pursue speed skating after watching former inline competitor Heather Richardson on television at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Bowe started the 2013-2014 on a strong note, winning gold in the 1000m at the Salt Lake City World Cup and setting a world record in the process. The Florida native secured a chance to skate in her first Olympics when she finished second in the 500m, 1000m and 1500m at U.S. Olympic Trials, qualifying for positions in all three distances.
- 2013/14 Olympic Trials- finished second in the 500m, 1000m and 1500m
- 2013/14 World Cup Salt Lake City- gold and world record in the 1000m
- 2013 World Single Distance Championships- third place in the 1000m
- 2013 World Cup- second in the overall standings in the 1000m
- 2012 World Single Distance Championships- third place in the 1000m
Things to know:
1. Is from Ocala, Florida, which is the same hometown as fellow American speed skater Joey Mantia.
2. Has a stairway to heaven tattooed from her hip to her underarm.
3. Listens to electronic dance music or rap before competitions.