Valtteri Filppula is a Finnish center who plays professionally for the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning. He is having a breakout season with Tampa Bay after spending the last six seasons with the Detroit Red Wings. With Detroit, Filppula won a Stanley Cup in 2008, and played in the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.
- Stanley Cup-winner with the Detroit Red Wings in 2008.
- Won a bronze medal with Finland at the 2010 Olympics, when he had three goals in six games.
- Had 10 points in 10 games at the 2012 World Championships.
- Represented Finland at both the 2003 and 2004 World Junior Championships.
Things to know:
1. His older brother, Ilari, plays professionally in Finland and played in the Detroit Red Wings' minor-league system in 2010-11.
2. The Tampa Bay general manager who signed him to play for the Lightning is Steve Yzerman, also the general manager of the 2014 Canadian men's Olympic hockey team. Yzerman was familiar with Filppula from his own time in the Detroit Red Wings organization. Yzerman captained the Red Wings from 1986-2006 and is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.
3. Was born on the same date as actress Christy Carlson Romano, who is most known for her role in the shows "Even Stevens" and "Kim Possible".