Twenty-one-year-old Kate Hansen made her name in the U.S. luge world with two great runs in the 2013 U.S. Championships in October. She finished ahead of her more experienced and accomplished peers Julia Clukey and Erin Hamlin, beating them by .19 and .25 seconds, respectively, to win the national title. Days later Hansen broke a bone in her foot still went on to win the next week's Park City race, earning her a spot on board this year's U.S. World Cup team. In the final race of the 2013-14 World Cup season, with the German team skipping the race, Hansen not only won her first individual medal -- she won gold.
- 2014 Altenberg World Cup - Gold
- 2013 Lillehammer World Cup - 12th (first after the first run)
- 2013 National Championships - First
Things To Know
1. Hansen was a league-champion high jumper in high school.
2. Her favorite artist is Beyonce.
3. She lives in Southern California and enjoys surfing.