The softball tournament (women only) will include six teams that will compete in two phases: an opening round and a medal round. Each team can include 15 players on its roster, with nine players on the field at a time.
During each game, two teams will compete head-to-head. The teams alternate between batting and fielding, each session of which is called an inning (which includes both a “top” and a “bottom”), switching roles when the fielding team gets three opposing players out. The “away” team bats first (the “top” of the inning), while the home team bats second (the “bottom” of the inning).
The team with the most runs after seven innings wins. No game will end in a tie. If the score is tied after seven complete innings, the game will continue until one team has outscored the other at the conclusion of a complete inning.
There are no time-outs during the game and only a 90-second break between innings.
All six teams will play one game against each of the other five teams.
At the end of the opening round, teams will be ranked based on their win-loss record. The four top-ranked teams will progress to the medal games, with the top two teams playing for gold, and the third and fourth-ranked teams playing for bronze.
If two teams are tied using their win-loss record, they will be ranked by the result of the game played between them.
If more than two teams are tied on win-loss record, they will be ranked using the following criteria (in this order):
- By the results of the games between the tied teams in the opening round.
- By their runs against record in the games between the tied teams; the team with the lowest runs against record is ranked highest, the team with the second lowest runs against record is ranked next, etc., until two tied teams remain and they can be ranked by the result of their game in the opening round.
- If the teams are still tied, they will be ranked using their runs against record in all opening round games. The team with the lowest runs against record is ranked highest, the team with the second lowest runs against record is ranked next, etc., until two tied teams remain and they can be ranked by the result of their game in the opening round.
The teams in the medal games are determined using the opening round rankings. A single game will determine the winner of each medal.
- Bronze medal game: Third-Ranked Team (home team) vs. Fourth-Ranked Team (away team)
- Gold medal game: First-Ranked Team (home team) vs Second-Ranked Team (away team