The Sailing regatta at the 2020 Tokyo Games will comprise 10 medal events (five for men, four for women, one for a man/woman duo):
- Men’s RS:X (1-person windsurfer)
- Men’s Laser (1-person dinghy)
- Men’s Finn (1-person heavyweight dinghy)
- Men’s 470 (2-person dinghy)
- Men’s 49er (2-person skiff)
- Women’s RS:X (1-person windsurfer)
- Women‘s Laser Radial (1-person dinghy)
- Women’s 470 (2-person dinghy)
- Women’s 49er FX (2-person skiff)
- Mixed Foiling Narca 17 (2-person multihull)
The venue for sailing at the 2020 Olympics is the Enoshima Yacht Harbor, which was built for the 1964 Tokyo Games.
The first Olympian to capture four gold medals in the same individual event — in any sport — was Danish sailor Paul Elvstrom, who won the Finn class in 1948, 1952, 1956 and 1960. Another Finn medalist of note is John Bertrand, who earned bronze in 1976 before skippering Australia II to victory at the 1983 America’s Cup, ending 132-year domination by American sailors.